Thursday 22 August 2024

Music Improvisation and Language

I had another post which I wanted to write today, but I'll save that for later. In the meantime, I've been doing some more wild improvising. I suppose what fascinates me is that any kind of music making like this is fundamentally technological. The piano is a technology. But in its use, it somehow fuses with my biology/psychology/physiology - all musical instruments are like that - to the point that it becomes an amplifier of emotion. In particular it is an amplifier of aspects of feeling which cannot be expressed in words. 

Some of this music feels agitated, some of it calm. But if I was to say "I'm agitated" or "calm" it would not represent what the music says. It's doesn't even say "I'm agitated and calm". It says something more like "my calmness and agitation are structured in particular ways such that I choose to express certain things in certain moments". Although even there, the language is deficient. 


 


No comments: